The London Chapter of the Ontario Archaeology Society in conjunction with The Museum of Ontario Archaeology and Kettle Creek Conservation Authority are hosting an Archaeology Day at Lake Whittaker Conservation Area , 5840 Whittaker Lane, Harrietsville on Sunday August 11, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
For more than 40 years the London Chapter, OAS has represented the regional interests and concerns of the archaeological community in Southwestern Ontario, by providing advocacy and actively promoting public awareness of and education on the community’s archaeological heritage resources. Come join us and gain a better understanding of the ethical practice of archaeology and a greater appreciation for the human occupation of southwestern Ontario over the past 13,000 years.
There will be activities for people of all ages:
- learn about archaeology in Ontario
- found an object in your garden that you think is quite old… bring it to show our artifact identification specialist
- find out how archaeologists can often tell how old an artifact is… just by looking at it
- who knows what your children might uncover in one of our simulated excavations
- The Museum of Ontario Archaeology offers a wide range of programming for children and adults… check them out
- flint knapping demonstrations and workshops are being offered by our own ‘Rock’ Group, D’Arcy and the Knappers
- new words your thing?… good luck with our archaeological terminology puzzles
When entering the Conservation Area, be sure to tell the staff at the gate that you are coming to Lake Whittaker for the “Archaeology Day” event and your admission is FREE!
We hope to see you there.